Monday, May 21, 2018

Reflections





Reflections

By Robin Lee Shelby



The Night is still

The sky is cloudy but a few stars manage to peek through

The Big Dipper can be seen as well as the North Star

Lines of black descend to the very tree tops

The moon is partially hidden by a formless cloud

Yet, it shines down on me standing out in the open chill


Events of the past few days flow through my head

The crickets chirp merrily and all else is quiet

A light stirring breeze hits my face

Barefooted I walk along a carpet of green grass

The chickens are huddled in their nests against the chill of the night

The dog is asleep but wakes when I pass

He licks my hand then I pat his head and he lays back down when he senses no dread

A hoot owl can be heard in the distance

An eerie sound from afar

Tales of the Rougarou come to my mind

A myth told by the old folk on the back porch

On a soft summer’s night


All alone am I beneath the clear night sky

The one I loved has gone away

Leaving me with a broken heart

But hope always remains

No comments:

Post a Comment